Friday 20 January 2012

Last Poster standing

My last bands, last gig was in Leeds Rio's.
We where in support of a local band.
I'm not going to name names, but they where rubbish.
To many divas in that band.
They where like a rubbish Paramore.
But hey, they lasted longer than us.
By that point I'm sure we all wanted to quit.
But the reason I bring this up is that we got on to a big poster.
Massive, with all the bands listed to play.
Our band on the same poster as Skindred.
It was fantastic.
They had posters of all the up and coming gigs inside on a wall you could see through a window.
So for the months up to the gig there was my bands name.
It was quite a buzz.
The venue closed down about a week after our gig.
We split up shortly after the venue closed.
I have to walk past it every day I go to work.
Every day since I have had to walk past our posters.
Hanging in the window of a closed down club.
Collecting dust.
Like a depressing reminder that we fell out.
After so long it stopped meaning anything.
All i wanted was the poster it's self.
It was the only one from all the gigs I've played that I didn't save.
Leeds Rio's has just been bought/rented and the new owners are gutting the place.
They've pulled out the bar,
the sound desk area,
the light rigging,
they even pulled the inside roof out somehow.
For the first time in a year and a half the posters are gone.
So is the wall they where stuck too.
I wish I'd known so I could have grabbed one.
In a way its like saying goodbye.
In another its like saying good riddance.
I'm not sure how to feel about it.
All I do know is that I miss playing live,
But I knew that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment