Monday 13 February 2012

As February drags on

I was watching a count down of Thirty seconds to mars's videos on mtv.
I remember when they used to be cool.
I know a lot of people like to pretend to have been in to a band from the beginning.
But with them I really was.
I first heard about them in a guitrist magazine.
They had an artical about actors in bands.
They had the crap.
Dogstar, thirty odd foot of grunts.
The funny,
Tenacious d
and the interesting,
Thirty seconds to mars.
I got hold of their first album years before they blew up everywhere with their second album.
I used to DJ them when I was playing music to a half empty pub on a Wednesday night.
I went on their website around the same time.
They had a stream of the kill.
It wasn't called that back then.
I cant remember what it was called.
it sounded ace.
finally,
years later the new album came out.
I got it straight away.
it was a crowd pleaser.
I loved it.
Then all the fans came out of the wood work.
God I hate them.
I started to get asked to play them at the night club.
I used to joke that I'd been playing them for years.
They'd just call me sad for pretending to have been a fan from the beginning.
The place was filled with hundreds of them.
Whatever.
At least they got up and danced.
Then the third album came out.
kings and queens.
Great single if a little pompous.
Then I got the joy of hearing the whole album.
God wept.
Firstly.
The whole thing is just one big ego trip for Jared.
Secondly.
That god awful teenage, mega chorus.
Yeah it sounds cool.
Dont put it on every bloody track.
...
I dont think I just spontaneously started to hate them.
I think it started to happen when I saw them live for the first time.
The band came on looking cool.
dressed in faded, worn down black clothes.
very prog/goth/industrial.
Then came Leto.
I guess his mum does use Daz.
head to toe white.
the spotlights shine on him.
"LOOK AT ME, IM GREAT, IM THE CENTRE OF THE FUCKING UNIVERSE..."
I'm not saying they wasn't bad live.
I just couldn't get past Leto.
Well to be fair it was like looking directly at the sun.
It was Leto acting at been the front man of a great band,
as opposed to just been the front man of a great band.
...
I write this as I listen to the first album again.
I just had to listen to it again.
Remember what it was like been the fan of a band that no one else in my dead end town knew.
Though if you ask any of them they where fans from the beginning,
one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment