Friday 24 February 2012

Whatever their saying their saying it well

I was always told that you should never get a band tattoo.
There are so many in their forties that regret their Iron maiden tats.
There are so many modern metal kids covered in Ollie Sykes tattoos that will live to regret it.
As i was told when I was younger by all the bikers in the bar was,
"Never get a band Tattoo."
The reason is bands can get shit.
When I was seventeen I saw this guy at a Korn gig with a righteous Korn tattoo.
Nowadays, even as a die hard Korn fan,
their work with Skrillix is just plain embarrassing.
If you have a tattoo of Korn,
Their shame is your shame by default.
I digress.
The reason I say this is I have a band Tattoo.
My third favourite band of all time is Sigur Ros.
I love their music.
People always say when you die you hear Enya at the end of the tunnel.
She got bumped.
Heaven is now soundtracked by Sigur Ros.
Their music will always make me smile when ever I feel down.
I had to stop listening to them as I used to walk to work.
It took me to Track four on brackets to get to work,
and just as it started I'd always wonder,
what is down that road?
If I kept on listening on the way to work,
one day I wouldn't make it.
I would have walked down that road.
Seeing them live for the first time was like a religious experience.
They swapped instruments,
The lighting/back drop was just plain brilliant.
They had a marching band come on and a violin section.
They played their music just as it is on the record.
The first time I saw them was the same week I got in to them.
I had brackets before the gig.
I had everything else after.
I've been a die hard fan ever since.
Converting others.
Including my parents.
I even took my Dad to see them.
They released a DVD called Heima.
on the video the same viola section played with them in an abandoned factory.
The same marching band marched through their home town.
Sigur Ros played in a valley that a week later would be flooded for all time.
They played my Favourite song"Hey Satan" in an abandoned fishing village.
The DVD summed up every feeling I have for them and their beautiful, hypnotic music.
I have two tattoos.
One is a skeleton of a frog tattooed on to my back.
The other is the word Heima tattooed on to my left wrist.
Its tattooed so I can read it without having to bend my wrist at a silly angle.
If I'm having a shit time at work.
I just look at my wrist and think of their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment