Saturday 14 January 2012

Nirvana colouring book

As I write this I sit in my mega old, battered, Nirvana hoodie.
My mega old, battered, Nirvana T-shirt.
In my lap is my brand new, battered, kurt Cobain Fender jaguar.
On the book shelf are some old, and battered, specials by Q and Mojo about Nirvana.
I really should take stock of my collection.
Lauren got me a cool new book on Nirvana from the local HMV.
Its bright neon yellow. It has lots of pull out bits and bobs, like old tickets and tour posters.
Its the second Nirvana book like it I own.
The first one been Cobain Unseen.
Books like this are wonderful.
Yeah all the posters and ticket stubs are recreations.
But then so is my guitar and it holds a magic of its own.
Cobain is an icon that has inspired thousands to pick up a guitar.
Grunge as a scene, as well as punk, inspired me to play.
But it was other grunge bands that set me off.
I own more Pearl Jam records than Nirvana ones.
I was a full blown Foo Fighters fan before I eventually bothered with Nirvana.
It was only Dave Grohl's involvement that made me listen.
But the same can be said about Nirvana and the Pixies.
Nirvana and Half Japanese.
Kyuss.
The Melvins.
Tad.
I wouldn't have heard of them if it wasn't for Kurt's need to write lists.
We all have to start somewhere.
Nirvana is as good as any.
I think the point Im getting at is even though I would never claim to be the biggest Nirvana fan.
They did set me off in the right direction for bands I now love.
Their music was there for me when I was having a shit time in school.
Back when I was the only kid in to alternative music in my school,
and all I had was my Dads copy of Nevermind.
They also helped me meet friends in college and clubs.
music means different things to different people.
For me bands mean different things from different times.
for me Nirvana was a beginning of sorts.
An opening dialogue.
Which is why I have so much crap knocking about, about Kurt Cobain and Nirvana,
and the first song I played on my Jaguar at the shop was In bloom.
...
Though maybe I don't know what it means.
...
What ever it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment