Sunday 8 April 2012

Kick Flip

My home town been the way it was i didn't learn about a lot of bands till I hit college.
It been a small yorkshire town.
At school there was effectively me,
and every body else.
The only outlet at the time I started to discover music was my mums record collection.
Lots of Simon and Garfunckle and Simply Red.
In amongst it all was a lot of good Motown and soul records though.
I learnt about good music from movies.
Soundtracks where the way at the time.
Radio One been filled with shite pop.
I wasn't getting a lot of new music though.
As a child/young teen I watched the same movies over, and over.
Then along came a game that would change all this.
Along came Tony Hawks.
This sound track had it all.
Dead Kennedy's,
Primus,
Goldfinger(A personal fave for years to come),
The Vandals.
I was introduced to punk.
I learnt fast.
From everything from the Descendants to the Offspring, to the Clash and back again.
I was hooked on punk.
Then the sequels came out.
Featured more rock this time.
Fu Manchu,
Rage against the machine.
The third had some classic songs.
As the series progressed it became more about the songs and less about the skating.
I was always frustrated that I could never really skate all that well.
I used it as a way of getting around more than trying tricks.
As I got older it became more of a hassle to have it on me as I went to the bar.
but the music made me keep on buying them.
I cant remember which the last one I bought was.
All I remember that the soundtrack didn't excite me as much as it used to.
There was to much hip hop.
Not that I don't like classic hip hop.
To me being a skater was about punk, pop punk, ska and rock.
It was a different time I guess.
Skaters have changed the music they listen to.
To them I must look like those sixty's skaters with out a clue what was about to happen to the scene when the Z boys showed up.
But then i met a couple of skaters in college a few years back that listened to post rock.
So go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment